Monday, May 4, 2009

It's the thought that counts (or not)

It may look like I haven't written anything for this blog in a while, but nothing could be farther from the truth. There's plenty of material that you're failing to notice...

Oh, hell. It's not you - it's me.

I've written a number of half- and mostly-finished posts these past several weeks, but unless you're fluent in the ways of spyware I doubt anything on my laptop is offering much insight. These actual posts probably aren't offering much either, but at least you don't have to worry about being convicted of identity theft as well as wasting useful minutes of your life.

So I'm spending a couple of days finishing and cleaning up posts on various topics, beginning with this one updating the state of operations here at headquarters, such as they are.

The print version of Icepeople is still a measly four pages and is coming out every other week. Much of this is due to the challenge of finding someplace willing to run off several hundred copies every week, possibly with a machine that might be able to staple or otherwise bind a few more pages (right now they're being folded by yours truly, who's beginning to wonder if there's such a thing as paper-cut insurance). The alternative is having the work done in Tromsø at a prohibitively high cost, since my intention is to keep this publication free of charge.

The good news is I may be close to getting something worked out on a weekly basis, but increasing the number of pages may still be a bit off.

If anyone reading this is wondering where to find a printed copy, I'm distributing a total of about 200 a week at the Radisson, Spitsbergen Hotel, Spitsbergen Lodge, Svalbardbutikken, Busen, Fruene and the university. I'll continue expanding this list as I'm able to print more copies and places express a willingness to carry them. Fruene seems to be the best place to find a copy after the first few days, since people tend to read and leave them.

Finally, most of the Web page is now functional, but I'm still behind on the extras like music and other multimedia content. The content is there - and those knowledgeable in the ways of Google can find it - but I haven't had time to get the Web pages for it built. It'll get there...hopefully soon, like some of these posts.

No comments: