Monday, May 4, 2009

Who wants to strip-search me?

Back in the U.S., I'd be a walking drug dealer right now.

I stopped by the apotek for some ibuprofen, which I occasionally seem to need in unhealthy quantities, and it turns out 400mg tablets are available right over the counter. That probably means little to the vast majority of people who don't read more than the name on the bottle, but it's twice the dosage of what's permissible without a prescription in the U.S.

For a 13-year-old girl there, this was not a small thing.

The girl, now 19, went before the U.S. Supreme Court recently in a case where a male school official ordered her strip-search when another student – who was busted for having those 400mg pills – claimed the girl was carrying drugs as well. The rat turned out to be false, but not before the girl shredded every stitch proving it.

The conservative majority on the court appears to be leaning toward a ruling backing the school's zero-tolerance policy on such matters, rejecting lower court decisions that the girl's rights were violated. The irony is the student caught with the drugs who made the false accusations escaped punishment.

So my question of the day: What happens when I go over to Longyearbyen School to interview a teacher or student, or to take the Norwegian classes they offer, and I've got these pills on me? I know Svalbard has an expel-if-caught-with-drugs policy, but my guess is it's more sensible than what's happening across the puddle.

No comments: